SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
JOB TITLE: PART TIME TRANSIT DRIVER
REPORTS TO: Lead Driver/Transportation Division Director
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Part-time/Hourly/Non-exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Operates the Road Runner Transit vehicle in a safe professional manner to provide dependable, friendly public transportation.
These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Operate Transit vehicle on a fixed route, adhering to published times and in accordance with federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and laws.
- Duties include demand response trips to accommodate special needs; be willing to assist special needs customers onto the vehicle.
- Record mileage, riders, rider characteristics, and fuel purchases daily; gather and maintain all information as required by the Transit program.
- Begins routes on time and follow appropriate schedule; provide reliable, expert service and enforce rules related to safe transit operation.
- Inspect vehicle prior to beginning of each shift and at end of the shift; complete and maintain required information on appropriate inspection forms and sign-off.
- Is subject to federal, state, and SUCAP random drug and alcohol testing policy and procedures.
- Maintains cleanliness of transit vehicle, including but not limited to: bus washing, keeping trash cleaned out of bus, picking-up safety belts off floor, sweeping, and cleaning windows.
- Become knowledgeable of the transit schedule and the area, including activities and events, in order to answer customer inquiries in a courteous and patient manner at all times.
- Maintain a neat, clean appearance and be able to deal effectively and courteously with the general public. Maintain friendliness with passengers and be able to increase their knowledge of Road Runner Transit services and changes.
- Assist all disabled passengers as required by SUCAP transit policies.
- Must work holidays and Saturdays on short notice and be flexible for shift coverage as needed (cover due to illness, vacations, etc.).
- Ability to sit for long periods of time while on duty.
- Ability to perform simple maintenance of bus stops, as needed: deliver bus route schedules, shovel snow, etc.
- Ability to positively promote the Road Runner and the local community using diplomacy and tact.
- Willingly perform other related job duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High school graduate or GED preferred.
- Must have current driver’s license, in good standing, for state of residency. Must be able to obtain a Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a “P1” endorsement within 60 days of employment.
- Must be able to obtain and keep current a Medical Examiner’s Certificate as required by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (49 CFR 391.41-391.49) .
- Must be insurable by SUCAP’s insurance carrier, good driving record required.
- Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screen; must pass criminal history and Child Abuse/Neglect background checks.
- Must be able to relate to and work well with associates and the public; work references will be required.
- Must have, or within 3 months, be able to obtain CPR and 1st Aid certification and remain current thereafter.
- Preference may be given to qualifying local applicants familiar with the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and the surrounding Ignacio community.
Ability to communicate clearly and accurately both orally, and in written format.
Ability to prepare reports, including a daily driver’s log.
Ability to add subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public.
Must work independently, with minimum of supervision.
Must be physically able to perform all duties of the job. Position occasionally performs heavy physical labor requiring ability to lift, carry, push, pull and move heavy objects or materials. Physical demand for strength and endurance; requires lifting over 50 pounds on an occasional basis. May require long periods of sitting.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
Frequent communication with employees and others on a daily basis, including telephone as well as face-to-face interaction.
Not required – but helpful