SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
JOB TITLE: KITCHEN STAFF – SUBSTITUTE
REPORTS TO: Lead Cook
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular/Part-time/Hourly
POSITION SUMMARY: The Kitchen Staff Substitute is responsible for assisting the Lead Cook in providing nutritious, well-balanced meals that adhere to current USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Follow the prep duties as instructed by the Lead Cook
- Follow menus without substitutions or deletions unless approved by the Lead Cook.
- Prepare cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat etc.
- Undertake basic cooking duties such as browning meat, scrabbling eggs, baking muffins, etc.
- Prepare simple dishes such as salads, entrees etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc.
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly and labeled with date received.
- Comply with CACFP nutrition guidelines and Head Start Policies & Procedures
- Comply with Head Start sanitation Policies & Procedures
- Wear a hair net, clothing and shoes appropriate to meet safety standards established for the position.
- Keep accurate daily count of child and adult meals served.
- Serve breakfast at 8:00 a.m. and staggered lunch service beginning at 11:15 a.m., assuring that foods are served at the appropriate temperature and not prepared in advance of time needed.
- Launder all kitchen linen weekly.
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor to ensure consistent, high quality services to children and families.
- Willing to work as a team to ensure meals are of exceptional quality and on time.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must have ability to relate positively with children, parents and Center staff.
- Must be able to lift heavy pans and food.
- Must obtain Food Handler’s and maintain current.
- Must pass TB exam, Criminal History and Child Abuse/Neglect background checks
- Experience as a cook in large group cooking environment
- Knowledge of food nutrition and well balanced diets, as well as knowledge of health and sanitation standards
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately
- Possesses basic math skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain supportive and respectful relationships with children, parents, staff, consultants and the public.
- Frequent lifting heavy pans of food
- Position requires standing, bending, stretching
- Able to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
- Work is performed in an educational setting with some exposure to environmental stress and frequent interruptions.
- The noise level of the environment is moderate.
- Frequent communication with employees, children, parents and others on a daily basis
CODE OF ETHICS:
- Must be willing to accept and adopt the Code of Ethics required of all Head Start/Early Head Start employees.