SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
THIS IS A PART TIME POSITION
JOB TITLE: INTER CITY BUS OPERATOR
REPORTS TO: Division Director
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: PART-TIME/Hourly/Non-exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Operates Road Runner Stage Lines vehicles in a safe professional manner to provide dependable, friendly public transportation for residents and guests.
These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Operate the bus on a fixed route, adhering to published times and in accordance with federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and laws.
- Duties include willingness to accommodate special needs; be willing to assist special needs customers onto and off of the vehicle.
- Record mileage, riders, rider characteristics, maintain daily logs as required by DOT and fuel purchases daily; gather and maintain all information as required by the program.
- Begins routes on time and follow appropriate schedule; provide reliable, expert service and enforce rules related to safe operation.
- Inspect vehicle prior to beginning of the route and at end of each route; complete and maintain required information on appropriate inspection forms (pre & post trip) and sign-off.
- Is subject to federal, state, and SUCAP random drug and alcohol testing policy and procedures.
- Become knowledgeable of the bus schedule and the route, including activities and events along the route, in order to answer customer inquiries in a courteous and patient manner at all times.
- Maintain a neat, clean appearance and adhere to dress codes.
- Be able to deal effectively and courteously with the general public. Maintain friendliness with passengers and be able to increase their knowledge of Road Runner Stage Lines services and changes.
- Assist all disabled passengers as required by the American’s With Disabilities Act and SUCAP policies.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays depending on the schedule as this is a seven day a week operation.
- Ability to sit and drive for long periods of time while on duty.
- Ability to positively promote Road Runner Stage Lines and the communities along the route using diplomacy and tact.
- Willingly perform other related job duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High school graduate or GED preferred.
- Must have and maintain current Colorado Class ”B” Commercial Drivers License (CDL), with a “P2” endorsement.
- Must have and maintain a current Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
- Prefer mechanical aptitude with diesel engines and routine maintenance.
- Must be insurable by SUCAP insurance carrier, good driving record required.
- Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screen; must pass criminal history and Child Abuse/Neglect background checks.
- Must be able to relate to and work well with associates and the public; work references will be required.
- Must have, or within 3 months, be able to obtain CPR and 1st aid certification and remain current thereafter.
- Must be physically able to perform all duties of the job. Position occasionally performs heavy physical labor requiring ability to lift, carry, push, pull and move heavy objects or materials. Physical demand for strength and endurance; requires lifting over 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
Ability to communicate clearly and accurately, both in oral and written format.
Ability to prepare reports, including drivers daily log.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public. Must work independently, with minimum of supervision.
Lifting a minimum of 50 pounds may be required.
Adequate hearing is required to hear/talk with all individuals, and to use telephones on a consistent basis. Position involves long periods of sitting.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate. Frequent communication with employees and others on a daily basis including telephone as well as face-to-face interaction.
Must be able to or willing to learn how to operate a “smart phone” with credit card capabilities and a satellite phone for emergency purposes.
N/A – but helpful.