JOB TITLE: Senior Center Handyman
REPORTS TO: Program Director
SUPERVISES: Not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular/full-time/hourly/non-exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Building and grounds maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Assist to maintain the highest level of sanitation for all locations at the Center.
- Maintain grounds and flower beds; water, mow, trim weeds, use blower to keep walk ways and parking areas clean; inform supervisor of any repairs needed and assist with the repairs.
- Empty trash daily.
- Thoroughly dust, clean carpets and other floors as assigned.
- Wash windows as needed.
- Maintain outside grounds of the building.
- Must perform duties on the housekeeping schedule as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must obtain assistance when moving heavy tables and chairs to avoid injury.
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor to ensure consistent, high quality services to the Senior Center clients.
- Willingly perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Some transporting of clients and delivering of MOW.
- Snow removal in the winter.
- Must be able to properly operate a riding lawn mower to keep lawns cut and looking nice.
- Ability to relate well to staff, Senior Center consumers, residents of the senior center and the public.
- Must be physically able to lift minimum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to operate vacuum cleaner, carpet shampooer, basic hand tools (hammer, screwdriver), riding lawn mower, power mower, weed water, blower, mop and broom.
- Must be able to properly operate a riding lawn mower to keep lawns cut and looking nice. (Selected candidate will be tested to ensure they can properly operate the riding mower).
- Must be able to stretch, bend and stoop to adequately perform duties.
- Must pass a drug test, pre-employment and random.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license in state of residency and be insurable by SUCAP insurance.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR and First Aid cards within 45 days.
- At least one year of previous gardening experience maintaining lawns, flower beds, snow removal and maintenance experience.
- GED or high school diploma
- Preference may be given to qualified local applicants.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately, verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with SUCAP Staff and management, Senior Center consumers, residents of Senior Center and the public.
- Must work independently, with minimum supervision.
- Lifting a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Position requires standing, sitting, kneeling, reaching and bending
- Work is performed in an office and outside setting with some exposure to environmental stress, and frequent interruptions.
- The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
- Frequent communication with employees and others on a daily basis, including telephone as well as face-to-face interaction.