SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
JOB TITLE: SUBSTITUTE COOK
REPORTS TO: Family Health Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular/Part-time/Hourly
POSITION SUMMARY: The Cook Substitute is responsible for providing nutritious, well-balanced meals that are appropriate for enrolled children.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Prepare nutritious, attractive meals and ample food for all children, without a large quantity of leftovers. Prepare special dietary meals as necessary for children with special nutritional needs.
- Ensure cleanliness, maintenance, safety and sanitation of the kitchen area.
- Wear a hair net, clothing and shoes appropriate to meet safety standards established for the position.
- Keep accurate daily count of child and adult meals served.
- Serve breakfast at 8:15 a.m. and staggered lunch service beginning at 11:15 a.m., assuring that foods are served at the appropriate temperature and not prepared in advance of time needed.
- Launder all kitchen linen weekly.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must have ability to relate positively with children, parents and Center staff.
- Must be able to lift heavy pans and food.
- Must obtain Food Handler’s and maintain current.
- Must pass TB exam, Criminal History and Child Abuse/Neglect background checks
- Experience as a cook in large group cooking environment
- Knowledge of food nutrition and well balanced diets, as well as knowledge of health and sanitation standards
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately
- Possesses basic math skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain supportive and respectful relationships with children, parents, staff, consultants and the public.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Frequent lifting heavy pans of food
- Position requires standing, bending, stretching
- Work is performed in an educational setting with some exposure to environmental stress and frequent interruptions.
- The noise level of the environment is moderate.
- Frequent communication with employees, children, parents and others on a daily basis
COMPUTER SKILLS: N/A
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor to ensure consistent, high quality services to children and families.
CODE OF ETHICS:
- Must be willing to accept and adopt the Code of Ethics required of all Head Start/Early Head Start employees.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
I have read and understand the above position description. I assert that I am able to perform the essential job functions, meet the physical requirements of this position and satisfy the expectation of regular attendance when scheduled.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT