SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
JOB TITLE: Assistant Cook
REPORTS TO: Head Cook
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular/Full-time/Hourly/Non-exempt
RESPONSIBILITY: The person in this position provides assistance to the Head Cook preparing meals for the Senior Center program.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Supports all phases of meal preparation, serving, and cleaning up.
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA: These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Assists with the development of menus to be used in a monthly cycle; follow menus without substitutions unless approved by the supervisor; work to upgrade recipes to meet healthier, lower fat, sugar, and salt guidelines.
- Assists with ordering food in a manner that is cost effectiveness and efficient for operation.
- Assists in maintaining inventory of all supplies needed for meal preparation.
- Assists with ensuring cleanliness, maintenance, safety, and sanitation of kitchen and dining area, including, but not limited to floors, stove, oven, grease traps, refrigerators, dishes, pots, and pans.
- Assists with Preparation of meals. Assures foods are at proper temperatures. Monitors waste.
- Assists with maintaining food storage areas including refrigerators, freezers, and dry storage areas. WILL DATE ALL ITEMS.
- Wear hairnet or hat, clothing and shoes appropriate to the position.
- Attend workshops relevant to the position and food handlers training, as required.
- Assists with keeping accurate inventory records on food and equipment.
- Launder all kitchen linens weekly.
- Set-up, arrange and/or rearrange furniture in dining area for special events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Cook and/or Division Director.
- Some computer skills such as Microsoft Office.
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor to ensure consistent, quality services to seniors.
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- Must be physically able to lift 50 pounds, and perform heavy work as described above.
- 1 year experience working as a Cook or Assistant Cook in a business/restaurant setting. Positive references required.
- Desire to work with the elderly; general knowledge of geriatric conditions and issues.
- Familiarity with the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and the Ignacio Community; preference will be given to qualified local resident.
- Familiarity/experience with Indian Tribes desirable.
- Must be able to work well with coworkers, associates and the public; positive work references required.
- History of regular, dependable attendance, references required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to handle confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Must pass the criminal history background check.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license in state of residency and be insurable by SUCAP insurance carrier.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR and First Aid certification and a Food Handlers certification within 45 days of hire, and remain current.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately, orally and in written format.
- Ability to prepare reports.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with SUCAP Staff and management, Senior Center consumers, residents of Senior Center and the public.
- Must work independently, with minimum of supervision.
- Work is performed in an office and vehicle setting with some exposure to environmental stress, and frequent interruptions.
- The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
- Frequent communication with employees and others on a daily basis, including telephone as well as face-to-face interaction.
This position is full-time, 30 hours a week.