SOUTHERN UTE COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAMS, INC.
JOB TITLE: FAMILY ADVOCATE
REPORTS TO: Family Services Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Generally not a supervisory position
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular/Full-time/Hourly/Non-exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Provide support and services to families involved in Head Start including home visits, agency coordination and parent education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
These are the most significant performance factors involved with this position and they will be the principal factors on which the employee will be evaluated:
- Actively participate in training activities; desire and commitment to continuously pursue professional growth necessary to assure program success.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to assist and empower families in achieving their identified goals.
- Provide referrals to parent training/support groups for families; collaborate with other Center staff to develop parent educational opportunities.
- Actively encourage and assist families to join in individual and community activities which support adult education, parenting education, substance abuse prevention, community healing, violence prevention, employment development and family therapy.
- Assist Supervisor in strengthening collaborative partnerships with other community and regional resources in order for the Center to improve family services with respect to substance abuse prevention, early intervention, referral and support.
- Make ongoing home visits/family contact to support family strengths and offer information and educational materials as needed.
- Maintain effective communication with Center teachers and staff in order to provide a strong partnership between parents, teachers, and all aspects of the Center’s program.
- Relate to parents, Center staff and the public in a manner that is friendly, courteous, helpful and respectful.
- Maintain participant records in accordance with Head Start and Center standards.
- Maintain the child applications and enrollment in the Child Plus data base, including data entry.
- Attend and participate in Progress Review Team meetings.
- Responsible for tracking and documenting in-kind occurring in program area.
- Responsible for monitoring volunteers assigned to program area.
- Must maintain absolute confidentiality.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Associates Degree in the field of Human Services or related field;
- Minimum of two years experience in relation to social services, human services, or family services, references required.
- Experience in the implementation of recruitment, advocating for services and making referrals
- Demonstrated ability to collect, track and tabulate data.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong oral and writing skills; ability to make group presentations, after training.
- Previous experience with local cultures.
- Ability to work well with associates, parents and children, and the public
- This position requires extensive driving in order to make home visits. Must have valid Colorado Driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours in order to provide support to families.
- Must pass Criminal History and Child Abuse/Neglect background checks.
- BA in the field of human services preferred.
- Experience in family-based systems preferred.
- Familiarity with the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and the Ignacio Community strongly preferred; local resident preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately; verbally and in writing
- Ability to prepare reports and presentations in a professional manner.
- Possesses basic math skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including the ability to recognize
- situations in which confidentiality is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, supportive and respectful relationships with children, parents, staff, consultants and the public.
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision.
- Lifting a minimum of 30 pounds may be required.
- Position requires standing, sitting and some kneeling.
- Work is performed in an educational setting with some exposure to environmental stress and frequent interruptions.
- The noise level in the environment is moderate.
- Frequent communication with employees, children, parents and others on a daily basis. Including telephone as well as face to face interaction.
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor to ensure consistent, high quality services to children and families. Work references MUST state candidate had a good attendance record.
CODE OF ETHICS:
Must be willing to accept and adopt the Code of Ethics required of all Head Start/Early Head Start employees.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
I have read and understand the above position description. I assert that I am able to perform the essential job functions, meet the physical requirements of this position and satisfy the expectation for regular attendance.
This job description does not constitute a contract of employment.